Monday, September 3, 2012

Mercy Project

Hey friends! Happy Labor Day!
I know I've been horrible about blogging lately. Life has been full! But today I wanted to post some info about a group called the Mercy Project (http://mercyproject.net) that is working to end child slavery and trafficking in Ghana near lake Volta.
There is a large amount of poverty in Ghana and often, the mothers make decisions to sell their children to people who promise food, shelter and an education. But these children are not given all that, and instead they work 14 hour days, 7 days a week on the lake. They are lucky to be given one meal a day, and a dirty floor to sleep on.
Unimaginable, isn't it?! I can't even begin to imagine my boys living under those conditions.
But the Mercy Project is freeing their first group of children this month! They are not only working to free these children, but also to stop the cycle, by helping the villagers to learn sustainable, and efficient fishing methods. Working to fix the root of the problem, the Mercy Project is going to make a difference in Ghana.
I know we are all busy, but if you can, take 10 minutes and watch this documentary.



And then you can follow them on facebook http://www.facebook.com/mercyproject
and on twitter http://twitter.com/mercyproject
I, for one, can't wait to hear about the first group of children that are freed :) and I'm pretty sure you will too!


And I promise a life update on the Harris family soon!

1 comment:

Allison said...

You're speaking my language. Thank you for sharing this! We need to start a support group: "Wives of residents aching for hurting children around the world." There's something about being a mom that makes the needs of children more real than ever before. Hope to see yall next time we are in LR!